Pre- and Post-Op Basics
When you book your surgery with us, you will receive detailed information regarding your instructions for pre- and post-surgical care. We then see you no later than one week before your scheduled surgery for a complete pre-operative visit with Dr. Aiello and his nurse. At this visit, you will review your surgical consents and answer any and all remaining questions relating to your procedure. The following is an overview of what to expect:
TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO SURGERY AND TWO WEEKS FOLLOWING SURGERY
- You must notify our office before your surgery is scheduled of ANY medications or supplements you take with any regularity, including over-the-counter pain relief pills, nasal sprays, eye drops, dietary supplements, etc.
- NO smoking, vaping, Hookah, nicotine gum or patches – NO NICOTINE OF ANY KIND!
- NO alcoholic beverages of any kind.
- NO aspirin or aspirin-containing products, like: Maalox, Pamprin, Pepto-Bismol, Alka-Seltzer. (Check labels to ensure anything over the counter you take does not contain aspirin.)
- NO ibuprofen products or ibuprofen-containing products, like: Advil or Motrin. (Check labels to ensure anything over the counter you take does not contain ibuprofen.)
- NO NSAIDs or NSAID-containing products, like: Aleve or naproxen. (Check labels to ensure anything over the counter you take does not contain NSAIDs.)
- NO dietary supplements, including: herbs, tinctures, homeopathic drops, vitamins (especially Vitamin E), fish/krill oil, work out/recovery boosters, weight loss teas, etc.
- NO appetite suppressant medications, like: Phetermine, Adipex-P and Suprenza.
- NO recreational drugs. This is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.
- Drink 8 – 10 glasses of water per day, eat well, and get plenty of rest.
THE NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY
- Wash face and shampoo hair using antibacterial soap and shampoo.
- If instructed, take pre-op medication(s).
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK anything after 11:30 p.m. except as directed by our staff.
THE DAY OF SURGERY
- Take pre-op medication(s) as instructed.
- Do not use any hair products, makeup, false lashes, body lotion, or perfume.
- Do not wear contact lenses to your surgery.
- Leave valuables, including jewelry, handbags, and handheld electronics at home.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing, preferably a button-up front shirt and slip on/off shoes. NO jeans or clothes with complicated buttons, cuffs, studs, etc.
- Without exception, you must have someone bring you and take you home from surgery and stay with you for at least 24 hours following your surgery. Our staff will call after your surgery and need to speak to someone other than you to confirm your progress.
24 HOURS FOLLOWING SURGERY
- Do NOT drive a car.
- Do NOT make any important decisions or sign any legal documents.
- Arrange for someone to care for your small children. You need to rest and relax.
- Start with tepid liquids first and see how you feel. Then slowly progress to a light meal.
- Have your caretaker call us if you have any questions.